I Love to Twit

    follow me on Twitter

    The Old Stuff

    I Will Give Thanks

    In fact, I will Give Thanks three times.
    As the holidays rear the ugly head, I must now prepare for not one, not two, but THREE Thanksgiving meals (two of which will be on the same day). The benefit of having family live so close is that you get to see them all the time and Baby Bee's grandparents can be an active part of her life.

    The con is that your family lives so close that you get to see them all the time. Especially at the holidays.


    Seriously cute

    Bee, November 2007


    Now don't get me wrong. I love our families. But tomorrow will be so jam packed with stuff that we'll be too busy to be thankful for anything! Our day will start at the crack of dawn so that the Mister and I can shower and beautify before the little time sucker our beautiful daughter awakens. Then it's up, breakfast, a bath if breakfast gets all over her, dressed and hopefully a nap before we head out the door by 10:30am. All this while preparing three dishes to bring over for lunch/dinner. Linner? Dunch?

    Then we head out to celebrate with my parents and my sister and her family. This will be probably the most formal of the dinners (and by formal I mean we slightly dress up and use nice china.) Baby Bee lurvs her Nana, Poppa, Hooey and Duder. Honestly, what could be better than hanging out with my family and enjoying a really ridiculous amount of food? They are pretty delightful.

    After loading up on enough calories to kill most people, we'll head on over to Mr. Bee's mom's house to eat. Again. Luckily, the mom-in-law is very understanding of our multiple obligation day and doesn't expect us to eat a full second meal. Thank Gawd. We'll hang out there for a while until it's time to head home to put Bee down for the night. Did you notice how Bee snuck in an afternoon nap in that busy schedule? Yeah, me neither.

    Then, finally, on Saturday, we get the pleasure of driving 2 1/2 hours (one way, mind you) to Mr. Bee's Dad's house in the middle of nowhere. I shit you not. They have, like, animals and stuff. If you can't really picture Mama Bee on a farm of any kind, you are pretty much spot on! After many failed attempts, I have deemed myself a City/Suburban Gal through and through. Me and the outdoors do. not. mix.

    Needless to say, the idea of Bee stuck in the car for 5+ hours on Saturday is already giving me a fucking migraine. I really shouldn't complain. Sissy had to drive longer than that every. single. weekend. with her three young children for like a year. I vomit in my mouth a little just thinking of having to do that!

    Something really needs to be done about this 3 house celebration schedule, though. I would hate to miss celebrating with the extended family, but at some point we've got to start a routine that includes our own traditions. I really wanted to start a Saturday-after-Thanksgiving-Christmas-Tree-Getting-Tradition, but I guess that will have to start next year. Sigh.

    Wish me luck. What are you doing tomorrow/this weekend to celebrate?


    Song title: I Will Give Thanks (Hymns)

    2 comments:

    Melisa S. said...

    Oh wow...I never thought about all the obligations if family lives close. Your tail has left me tired and wanting a nap!

    My plans...let's see Hubby left for work today and will not be back until Saturday. I could go to FL for a quick time, but the thought of trudging through the airport for a meal and family drama does is not enticing, so home I will stay alone. Just me, my baby belly and the dog.

    the mama bird diaries said...

    3 celebrations?!!!! I couldn't do it. We tried to do two one year and it was just too much for me. Now we switch off each year. Hope the drive goes ok. :)