I Love to Twit

    follow me on Twitter

    The Old Stuff

    Wake Up And Smell The Coffee

    The Coffee Debate
    Recently, McDonald's has started a new advertising campaign featuring their "gourmet" coffee. The ads invite you to partake in non-snobby coffee. I decided to take them up on their offer and do a little taste test of my own.

    Now, don't get me wrong. I am the coffee snob of all coffee snobs. And I am a Starbucks girl through and through. I think Tully's tastes like cardboard and Seattle's Best Coffee, while they have great presentation with their drinks, ain't nothing to write home about. I like my coffee strong and sweet, just like my men (wink wink, Mr. Bee).

    I got my small iced latte in the drive thru and the first, and only, good thing you realize about McDonald's coffee is the price. At $2.18 for a small (aka: tall in Starbucks vernacular), it initially seems that you can't go wrong. That is, until you drink it. But first, you get the joy of watching them "make" the drink. This consists of them filling a cup full of ice and pressing a button on some random machine. How gourmet and technical.

    Because of how piping hot it must come out of the machine, the result of pouring it over a cup of ice is a tepid cup of coffee water. The first sip tastes of bland watered down dirt.

    Even though Mickey D's coffee is probably half the price of other "snobby" coffee joints, so far I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for.

    ::UPDATE::
    Well played, Mrs. J. But it's easy to dis the 'Bucks when you have Vivace and so many other fabulous coffee roasters up in Seattle proper. Here in the Hills, we're happy to have anything other than The Coffee Hut and Slutty Bikini Chicks Wear Pasties and Serve Bland Coffee Shack.


    Song title: Wake Up And Smell The Coffee by Cranberries

    4 comments:

    Mrs. J said...

    Don't get me started on coffee. I think I am the biggest coffee snob I know (totally agree re: Tully's, and I'm sorry to say, MamaBee, that Bucks is a close second-to-last for me to Tully's. OK, maybe not that bad. But I will drive to go somewhere else when there are 3 Starbucks within half a mile of my house!). I digress. I hate the McD's commercials about coffee snobbery...because you can be a coffee snob and still be cool and not some weird beatnik (Exhibit A: me), or at least I hope so. :) Anywho, thanks for being a guinea pig and suffering for all of us. I'm gonna go drive to the Hill now for some good coffee. :)

    Mrs. J said...

    Oh and I almost forgot:

    McDonald's gourmet coffee = mwmw

    Melisa S. said...

    I truly believe you ALWAYS get what you pay for. I am finally getting Hubby to realize this and make better choices!

    Is it wrong for me to feel good about your snobbery raining down on Mickie D's paraden? :D

    the mama bird diaries said...

    It's going to be a very desperate moment when I try that McDonald's coffee. But I'm sure the day will come.